Maputo, Mozambique, 14 Feb – The contract for building a bridge of the River Zambezi linking the Mozambican provinces of Sofala and Zambézia was signed Monday in Maputo by representatives of the Mozambique government and Portuguese construction company consortium Mota Engil/Soares da Costa.
Speaking after the signing Mozambique’s Public Works Minister, Felicio Zacarias, said that the work would finally be restarted after having been suspended for 25 years during the country’s civil war.
Although it is a fundamental link between the north and south of the country, only recently has Mozambique managed to fund its construction, with support from Sweden, Italy and the European Union. Last year the tender for the project was launched and the Portuguese consortium was granted the concession.
Carlos Cachoeiro, from the consortium, said that the work would provide direct employment for 600 people and indirect employment for a further 2,000.
The bridge, which will take 36 months to build, will be 2.3 kilometers long and 16 meters wide. It is set to cost US$67 million.
The European Union has pledged 25 million euros, Sweden 21 million and Italy 20 million.
As well as this, Japan offered US$9 million for complementary work, including the re-housing of people that will have to be moved out of the area of the future bridge as well as for environmental impact studies. (macauhub)