Maputo, Mozambique, 04 Sept – The Mozambican government may authorize the creation of a third mobile phone carrier in the country, the minister of Transport and Communications, António Munguambe said last week, according to Monday’s edition of the Notícias newspaper.
There are currently two mobile phone operators in Mozambique, state-owned Mcel andf South Africa’s Vodacam.
Munguambe, who did not disclose the name of the company or the date on which it would go into operation, said “everything depends on the financial feasibility studies that will be carried out in the short term in order to understand the reality of the Mozambican market.”
“We want to see if there is room for another mobile operator,” said the minister adding that it was also necessary to update legislation for the sector.
According to figures from the World Bank, Mozambique has 27 fixed line subscribers per 1,000 inhabitants, which is less than half the average of 64 for sub-Saharan Africa.
Vodacom Mozambique, which is controlled by the Vodacom Group Ltd. has around 490,000 subscribers. (macauhub)