South Africa’s Sasol to drill for oil and gas in Mozambique’s offshore area

8 November 2006

Johannesburg, South Africa, 08 Nov – South African petrochemical group Sasol has been granted an oil and gas exploration license for a 10,000 square kilometre area off the coast of Mozambique, the group said in a statement issued Tuesday in Johannesburg.

The announcement follows the approval by the Mozambican Ministry for Coordination of Environmental Action of the environmental impact study presented by Sasol Petroleum International, a subsidiary of the Sasol group.

The company, which will have 85 percent of the concession, will be the operator while the remaining 15 percent will be in the hands of Mozambican state oil and gas company Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos (ENH).

The exploration area, known as blocs 16 and 19, is in the sea directly ahead of the field that supplies Sasol and its customers in South Africa and Mozambique with gas. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH