Maputo, Mozambique, 6 Feb – The reconstruction of 24 avenues and streets in Maputo is scheduled to begin on February 12 following the signing of a contract Monday between the Municipal Council and the consortium to win the tender, officials said.
Made up of Mozambican company Ceta Construção e Serviços and Italy’s CMC – Cooperativa Muratori e Cementisti, the consortium has 18 months to complete work costing US$22.3 million, financed by the Arab Bank for Economic Development of Africa (BADEA).
The tender document includes not only laying a new road surface, but also the installation of a new drainage system as when it rains in Maputo the roads become rivers as the old drainage system is totally blocked.
At the ceremony to sign the contract, the Mayor of Maputo, Eneas Comiche said that this project was only the beginning and that many other avenues and roads needed urgent repairs, particularly the coastal road, which needs to be protected from erosion.
Comiche added that negotiations to carry out that work were underway with partners that he declined to name.
As well as the garbage, the poor state of the avenues and streets had been on of the main difficulties in managing the Maputo municipality, and has been a recurring theme in campaigns for local elections.
Despite having been designed to house around 500,000 people, Maputo now has a population of around 2 million, most of which are former refugees from the Mozambican civil war, which devastated the country over a 16-year period, until 1992. (macauhub)