Sao Tome and Principe to have first casino in May

6 March 2007

Sao Tome, Sao Tome and Principe, 6 March – The Star Group, a private Sao Tome/South Africa company, is due to open a casino in the capital of Sao Tome in May, at a total investment of over US$1 million, the group’s representative on the archipelago said Monday.

The managing partner of the Star Group, Hélder Rodrigues, told Macauhub that the business had 65 percent private Sao Tome investment and the remaining 35 percent was provided by a group of South African businessmen, represented by a company specialized in running casinos.

Rodrigues said that “experimental services” has begun two days ago, at the hand of two casino business specialists, a German and a Nigerian, in order to train the casino’s future staff.

“We have contracted foreign instructors because we want to provide a special service, which is quality and of international standard,” said Rodrigues of the casino which will be located in the Campo de Milho area, close to Sao Tome’s international airport.

Rodrigues said that as well as roulette the casino, which will be open 24 hours a day and have a capacity for 55 players, will have 20 slot machines and a poker table. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH