Lisbon, Portugal, 15 March – The project for construction on the new port of Luanda is “a certainty” and will be launched next year, and another new facility in Soyo, northern Angola, is also being analyzed, the Angolan transport minister said in Lisbon Wednesday.
André Luís Brandão, speaking to Portuguese news agency Lusa on the sidelines of an International Port Conference, said that studies for a new port in Luanda were underway, and these would serve only to set it location, as the “current port is not big enough to correspond to cargo needs.”
One of the potential locations is Cacuaco, to the north of the Angolan capital, but Brandão said that this would only be definitively decided based on the studies currently underway.
The port’s current facilities are currently located at one end of the Luanda sea road and is limited by the Boavista neighorhood, and thus has no room for expansion.
The minister said the size of the investment had not been decided yet, but said that it would be “one of the country’s biggest” ever in this area.
Last year, the Angolan government launched a US$130-million investment in the Port of Luanda, to be concluded by 2020, in order to modernize the current facility. (macauhub)