70 pct of Mozambicans to have drinking water by 2015, says government

17 May 2007

Maputo, Mozambique, 17 May – Some 70 percent of Mozambique’s population will have access to drinking water by 2015, compared to the current level of 43 percent, a Maputo government minister has said.

Minister of Public Works and Housing Felício Zacarias defined the Maputo government’s targets for provision of drinking water at a meeting Wednesday of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) integrated water resource management commission.

The Mozambican government also intends to extend “adequate sanitation” to 60 percent of the population by 2015, from the current level of 37 percent, despite the county being downstream of nine of the 15 international river basins in the region and having over 50 percent of total river discharges generated in neighboring states.

Zacarias said one way to ensure more people have access to fresh water and better sanitation in the SADC is for water resources to be shared in the region, giving the example of the present encounter in Maputo under the theme: “Development of Water Systems in the SADC.”

In Mozambique, as in many other Sub-Saharan African states, access to water continues to be lower than the 20 liters daily per person generally recommended.

The Maputo government is investing US$ 20 million yearly until 2015 to improve access to drinking water, the head of Mozambique’s National Water Directorate, Francisco Alvaro, told the SADC meeting.

Some 95 percent of this figure is being provided by the international community and the remaining 5 percent by the Maputo government, Alvaro said. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH