Luanda hotels lose star ratings after inspections

21 May 2007

Luanda, Angola, 21 March – Luanda’s Hotel Presidente Meridien lost one of its stars, and is now rated as a three-star unit due to the poor state of its facilities and a lack of services that merited its previous category, an official from the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism said Friday in Luanda.

Rosa António Gomes da Cruz, director of the Office for Studies, Planning and Statistics, told Angolan news agency Angop that the lowered rating for the Presidente Meridien was part of the inspections

“They also lowered the category of the Forúm Hotel, which fell from three to two stars, and that of hotel Universo, from two to one stars, and the Marinha and Tivoli hotels were given 90 days to furbish themselves, under threat of losing their three-star rating,” she said.

As part of the inspections and re-evaluation of the country’s hotel units, a task which began at the end of 2006, the Globo, Dom Miguel and Marco Soto hotels, which previously had one star, were downgraded to pension status.

These lowered ratings are the most recent in a succession of downgrades including that of the Panorama hotel (from five to one star) and Alameda (from three to one star), former benchmarks of the national market.

Gomes da Cruz, who is also spokesperson for the ministry, also said that over the next two years over 800 million kwanza would be invested in the Angolan hotel sector over the next two years, on at least 12 different hotels.

“Some of these projects are already underway, others have yet to be begun, but all of them have been identified,” she said, adding that these private initiatives were due to an increased number of tourists travelling to Angola over the last three years (over 490,000 people), due to the country’s greater political stability and investment opportunities. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH