Sao Tome investing in wind power

18 July 2007

Sao Tome, Sao Tome and Principe, 18 July – Sao Tome is to produce power from wind farms with support from Germany, the islands’ natural resources minister has said.

Manuel Deus Lima said Tuesday that a German company has been contracted to give technical support to the wind power project following a feasibility study on the project by Sao Tome’s energy authorities.

The wind power scheme is being launched initially in the district of Caue, 90 kilometers from Sao Tome city, and is expected to generate 2 megawatts of electricity.

“There are sufficient climatic conditions to sustain this type of energy production, compared to the high costs of a thermal plant,” said Deus Lima-

The wind power project is aimed to reduce costs of energy production in Sao Tome due to rising fuel costs, improve the quality of the product by preventing constant power outages, as well as combating environmental pollution.

State power and water utility EMAE, through the natural resources ministry, is the only power generator and distributor in Sao Tome, which has experienced successive energy crises characterized by constant outages and poor quality of supply.

Sao Tome’s power demand is estimated at 15 megawatts and EMAE’s capacity is only 12 megawatts. Some 80 percent of power comes from thermal stations and the remaining 20 percent from hydroelectric dams on the Contador and GueGue rivers. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH