Macau: Reclaimed land sites to increase area of Macau by five square kilometres

24 April 2008

Macau, China, 24 April – Macau’s area is set to increase by 5 square kilometres or 17.5 percent as compared with its current area of 28.6 square kilometres, the secretary for Transport and Public Works, Lau Si Io said Wednesday in Macau.

The announcement made by the secretary in a plenary session of the Legislative Assembly confirms that the plan to expand the territory that is being analysed by the government includes new reclaimed sites with na area of 5 square kilometres.

Lau said that the new figure was a “slight change” to the area outlined for reclaimed land, after in January 2006 the then secretary for Transport and Public Works, Ao Man Long, meanwhile condemned to a prison sentence of 27 years, announced an area of reclaimed land covering 3.98 square kilometres.

The secretary did not reveal a Schedule for construction of the new sites and declined to provide more details, having promised that the definitive version would be presented once it had been approved by the Chinese government.

He said however, that the new reclaimed land would be 40 percent occupied by housing, with a small part for retail and hotels, and the remaining 60 percent would be green areas, leisure areas, road networks and social facilities.

The chief executive of Macau, Edmund Ho, said Wednesday in Macau that the new reclaimed sites would not be used by the casino industry. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH