Mozambique: Mozambican government wants to sell of 20 percent of biggest mobile operator

23 June 2008

Maputo, Mozambique, 23 June – The Mozambican state plans to sell off 20 percent of the capital of state mobile telephone company Mcel, the chairman of state stake-holding company IGEPE, Daniel Gabriel said.

According to weekly newspaper Savana, Gabriel noted that a proposal was being drawn up with this in mind, but declined to give details saying that, “it is counterproductive to give details that have not yet been finalised.”

Recently, the Whatana group, a holding set up by two Mozambicans, Malenga Machel, son of the first president of Mozambique Samora Machel,and Nuno Quelhas, became a shareholder of Vodacom Moçambique, the second mobile phone operator, which is majority-owned by South African shareholders.

Vodacom Moçambique is 85 percent owned by South Africa’s Vodacom, and the remaining 15 percent are equally split between private Mozambican companies Intelec and Emotel.

Vodacom International’s shareholder structure is made up of Telkom (50 percent), VenFin (15 percent) and the Vodafone Group (35 percent).

Whatana is headed up by Graça Machel, widow of Samora Machel and now wife of South African former president, Nelson Mandela.

At Whatana, Graça Machel has a 20 percent stake, as compared with 40 percent held by Malenga Machel, her son, and the remaining 40 percent are in the hands of Nuno Quelhas.

Whatana has business interests in logistics consulting and finance, as well as in the automotive sector, via Whatana Autos, one of the companies that partners oil company Petromoc in long haul fuel distribution. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH