Sao Tome: Telecoms firm invests in undersea cable

4 August 2008

Sao Tome and Principe, 4 Aug – The Sao Tome government has inked an accord with Portugal Telecom to enable the Sao Tome Telecommunications Company to participate in the West African Festoon System (WAFS), officials said Friday.

A statement from the office of Prime Minister Rafael Branco said the islands will connect to the WAFS project through a ground station in Libreville and the SAT3 submarine cable.

The undersea link will allow Sao Tome improved international communications links and also give better quality transmission of voice, data and images.

The Sao Tome telecoms firm will invest around US$ 15 million in the cable project, some US$ 2.4 million from its own coffers and the remainder from partners in the company. The Sao Tome Telecommunications Company is controlled by Portugal Telecom with a 51 percent stake. The islands’ government holds the remaining 49 percent stake. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH