Mozambique: Sena railroad will carry 18 million tons of freight yearly

12 August 2008

Maputo, Mozambique, 12 Aug -The 670 kilometer-long Sena railroad in Mozambique will carry 18 million metric tons of freight per year, the director of communication and marketing of Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique, Antonio Libombo, told macauhub.

The Sena line will be the main artery for transporting various products including sugar from the refineries at Marromeu and Mafambisse, coal from Moatize and cement from the Dondo plant. The line is expected to reopen at the end of 2009 following extensive repair and modernization.

Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique has mobilized around US$ 275 million from the World Bank, about 60 percent of finance needed for the project, and provided the remaining 40 percent from its own coffers.

Trains currently run over a 90 kilometer section on the line between Muanza and Dondo. The Inhamitanga-Marromeu section of 103 kilometers is scheduled to be concluded soon. The longest track section of 260 kilometers between Sena and Inhamitanga should be finished in the second half of 2009.

Reconstruction of the Sena railroad began in 2002 and is being undertaken by Indian consortium Right and Icon, with a 51 percent stake, and Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique, holding the remaining 49 percent shareholding. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH