Mozambique: Government threatens to break contract with Portuguese contractor due to construction delays

29 September 2008

Maputo, Mozambique, 29 Sept – Mozambican national roads institution, Administração Nacional de Estradas (ANE) has said it will break off a contract with Portuguese construction company, Construtora do Tâmega if it does not conclude reconstruction of two sections of the country’s main road by December, said ANE’s general director in Maputo Friday.

A spokesman designated by the Mozambican public works minister for this matter, Eusébio Siquela, told Portuguese news agency Lusa that, “there will be no further deadline extensions for concluding the work.”

Siquela noted that, “Tâmega should have completed the two contracts (Namacarrua-Nampevo and Nampevo-Alto-Molócue sections, in Zambézia province) in December 2007, and that deadline has been extended to December 2008.

The Mozambican government’s intention was expressed last week by the deputy Public Works and Housing Minister, Gabriel Muthisse, who said that negotiations were underway with Tâmaga for a “friendly rescission” of the contract.

According to the deputy minister, the need to break off the contract with Tâmega was due to the fact that the project was based on cooperation agreements between the European Union and Maputo. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH