Angola: Ministry of Agriculture assesses forest inventory

30 October 2008

Luanda, Angola, 30 Oct – Technicians from the Ministry of Agriculture have been meeting in Luanda since Wednesday to evaluate the implementation of a national forest inventory project, with a view to gaining real knowledge of the sector’s potential in Angola.

The project’s coordinator, Mateus Simão André, said that the inventory was expected to cost around US$1 million and would be carried out in three stages, the first of which would focus on training staff.

The other two phases included distributing trainees across the various areas and analysis of the results of previous stages.

Mateus André said that the costs of carrying out the project would be 70 percent provided by the Angolan government and the remaining 30 percent by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO).

For two days the participants are due to discuss, amongst other subjects, the nees to set up a forest inventory unit at the Institute for Forestry Development (IDF), with all the necessary equipment and technical staff. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH