Sao Tome and Principe: European Union supports water and sanitation sectors

16 February 2009

Sao Tome, Sao Tome and Principe, 16 Feb – The European Union is to provide 1 million euros to draw up a strategic plan for a water and sanitation policy in Sao Tome and Principe, according to Lígia Barros, the archipelago’s director for Natural Resources and Energy.

The amount provided represents 75 percent of the real cost of the European Development Fund project, and the Sao Tome state is charged with contributing the remaining 25 percent, or 344,000 euros.

Activities will be phased and aim to increase Access to drinking water and basic sanitation, reduce water-borne diseases and lower the archipelago’s poverty index. More than half the population in Sao Tome and Principe is considered to live below the poverty line.

Local non-government organisation (NGO) Zatona-Adil, the Union of Portuguese-speaking Capital (UCLA) and CESO – Consultores Internacionais are the partners working on the project.

Brazil is also involved in this project via “Proafrica”, a programme to increase the scientific and technological capacities of African countries.

The project, which is due to be implemented this year, is expected to take two years to conclude. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH