Mozambique: Riversdale Mining gets licence for coal exploration in Benga, Moatize

30 April 2009

Sidney, Australia, 30 April – Australian company Riversdale Mining announced that it had obtained the mining licence for the coal mining project in Benga in the Moatize district of Tete province in Mozambique.

Company chairman, Michael O’Keeffe, said in a statement that the granting of the mining licence represented an important step at a time when the company was preparing to start the Benga project.

Once underway, the operation will produce 20 million tonnes of metallurgical and thermal coal, with an initial investment estimated at US$800 million.

Riversdale Mining Ltd owns 65 percent of the Benga project, the remaining 35 percent owned by Tata Steel Ltd of India.

The Australian company is also involved in the project to build a coal-fired power plant in Mozambique, expected to cost US$3.1 billion. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH