Angola: Four new cement factories to become operational by 2012

5 May 2009

Luanda, Angola, 5 May – Angola will have four new cement factories by 2012, according to the newspaper Expansão, quoting an Angolan Industry Ministry source.

The ministerial source quoted by the paper stressed that, for this year, the construction of an oven to produce clinker, the raw material for cement production, was planned for this year.

The project is being led by Secil Lobito which, when the factory becomes operational in 2012, will increase its annual production to one million tonnes.

Secil Lobito, in charge of the project estimated at US$140 million, already has a cement factory in Lobito producing 240,000 tonnes of cement.

Also for Benguela province, the source confirmed the recent announcement made by Escom, of the Portuguese group Espirito Santo, regarding the partnership established with Brazilian group Camargo Corrêa and Angolan group Gema for a 130 million Euro investment in the construction of Palanca Cimentos, 60 percent owned by Camargo Corrêa Escom Ciment and the remaining 40 percent owned by Gema.

As well as the new factories in Benguela, various projects linked to the cement industry have been approved by the Council of Ministers, including one in Quanza Sul province.

The ministerial source said that this factory would be finished in 2011, a project estimated at US$500 million which is being provided by an international consortium made up of Sojitz (Japan), Acurias (France), Eta (United Arab Emirates), Fismidth (Denmark) and Wartsila (Finland).

The new factory will have an annual production capacity of 1.4 million tonnes.

The construction of the new cement factories extends to Luanda, where the building of a factory with an annual production capacity of 2 million tonnes is planned. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH