Mozambique: Railroad via Zambia may link Mozambique to Angola

8 May 2009

Maputo, Mozambique, 8 May– Mozambique may be linked to Angola by railroad via Zambia, a source from the Ministry of Transport and Communications told Macauhub in Maputo.

The rail link depends on the conclusion, over a distance of 2 kilometres, of the railways line between Malawi and Zambia.

“The work on that link is underway and the information that we have is that there are just 2 kilometres left to complete the link between Malawi and Zambia, specifically in the areas of Mchinji Chipata, in the north of Malawi,” the source said adding that “once that section is concluded we can link to Angola and the Congos from Nacala, in Nampula province.”

Mozambique is linked to Malawi by rail via the Nacala Development Corridor (CDN), in Nampula province in northern Mozambique.

The ministry source noted that the link with several countries, particularly those with no sea border, “will make the port of Nacala viable,” in that there would be more opportunities for use of the port of Nacala by economic agents from those countries.

The port of Nacala is managed by CDN, a company that is majority Mozambican-owned, specifically by rail company Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique (CFM) with 49 percent and Sociedade de Desenvolvimento do Corredor de Nacala (SDCN) with the remaining 51 percent.

The shareholders have a master plan for construction of a mining resources terminal, an area for construction of a dry dock as well as a refinery, a project that is expected to cost US$5 million.

Silso are currently under construction in partnership with one of the port’s biggest users, a project that is valued at US$12 million. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH