Sao Tome, Sao Tome and Principe, 3 June – Reconstruction work on the runway at Principe airport is due to begin next September, the Dutch contractor, Roumbount Suarbornt said Tuesday in Sao Tome.
The contractor, which signed an agreement with the Sao Tome government in May 2008 for the modernisation of the airport, assured Portuguese news agency Lusa that next week work would begin on remodelling the terminal building.
“We promised to start work in May of this year and next week we will start work on the terminal building and in September or October we will begin work on the runway,” said the Dutch contractor.
On Monday the President of the regional government, José Cardoso Cassandra said that work was a year behind schedule and that an ultimatum had been given to Roumbount Suarbornt to start the work this month,
The President of the regional government also said that the conditions of the Principe airport runway no longer allowed take off and landing of aircraft as it could put life at risk.
On Wednesday of last week a tyre burst on an aircraft of airline Africa Connection during a landing manoeuvre at Principe Island airport, the runway of which has a lot of pot holes and weeds.
The work will be carried out by STP-Airport Management, which, according to the contractor, “will transform this airport into a well-equipped facility, with all the conditions of a regional airport and capable of receiving aircraft with a capacity of up to 50 passengers.” (macauhub)