Angola: Public and private telecommunications companies set up consortium

5 June 2009

Luanda, Angola, 5 June – State company Angola Telecom and four private companies from the telecommunications sector Thursday set up a consortium named Angola Cable to build and manage the undersea cable system, according to Angolan news agency Angop.

The consortium is made up of Angola Telecom with 51 percent of the capital of a total US$5 million, and private companies Mundo Startel, Unitel, Mercury and Movicel, sharing the remaining 49 percent.

For conclusion of the fibre optic network, the Angola Cable consortium, which will start working in 2011, announced it would invest US$90 million.

The undersea fibre optic cable will make it possible for Angola to be linked to several African countries, as well as to Europe.

Speaking to the press on the sidelines of the signing ceremony, the Angolan minister for Telecommunications and Information Technologies, José de Carvalho da Rocha said that the consortium would define access to the undersea cable system.

The chairman of Angola Telecom, João Avelino noted that the company had led the process of setting up the consortium as the majority shareholder and that the undersea cable network would bring numerous benefits to the country in the area of telecommunications. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH