Mota-Engil group says Angola subsidiary could be privileged partner of EDP in Angola

14 August 2009

Lisbon, Portugal, 14 Aug – Portuguese construction group Mota-Engil said Thursday that its Angolan unit, Mota-Engil Angola, could be one of the “privileged partners” in energy production and infrastructures building in Angola in a partnership with Energias de Portugal (EDP).

The Diario Economico business daily reported that Mota Engil has acknowledged a partnership with EDP in Angola, with Angolan state-owned oil firm Sonangol being the link between the two Portuguese companies.

In a statement sent to the CMVM Portuguese Securities Commission, Mota-Engil recalled its memorandum of understanding to create Mota-Engil Angola, on 16 June, as well as a partnership agreement to study investment in power production in Angola, announced on 30 July.

If these partnerships are implemented “Mota-Engil considers it natural that Mota-Engil Angola could be one of the privileged partners for construction of infrastructures for energy production in the scope of the mentioned EDP partnership.”

Mota-Engil Angola is geared to public works contracts in Angola and owned by Mota-Engil (51%). Angolan investors, led by Sonangol, hold the remaining 49% stake. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH