Indian consortium Ricon expects to finish Sena railroad in September

18 August 2009

Maputo, Mozambique, 18 Aug – The Indian High Commissioner in Mozambique, Rajinder Bhagat said Monday in Maputo that the Ricon consortium expects to finish reconstruction work on the Sena railroad in September.

Made up of railway companies Rites and Ircon, the Ricon consortium has been involved in the construction of the Sena railroad’s 650 kilometres of track, which was destroyed during Mozambique’s civil war, and which will serve to transport some of the coal from Moatize to the port of Beira.

The railroad is expected to transport 18 million tonnes of cargo per year, the communications and marketing director of Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique (CFM) António Libombo told Macauhub, and will also transport sugar from the Marromeu and Mafambisse factories and cement from the Dondo factory.

Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique has managed to invest US$275 million in the project for reconstruction of the line, with the World Bank providing 60 percent of the total and the remaining 40 percent coming from the company’s coffers.

At a reception held in Maputo to mark the 62nd anniversary of India’s independence, the ambassador said that bilateral trade between India and Mozambique had risen from US$152 million in 2007 to US$173 million in 2008, a rise of 14 percent year on year.

In 2008, India exported goods to Mozambique to the value of US$144 million and imported US$29 million from its African partner.

India recently provided Mozambique with three credit lines worth a total of US$75 million, US$20 million of which is to fund technology transfer for drilling bore holes and providing equipment from India, another US$25 million to fund information technology parks in Mozambique and US$30 million for rural electricity projects in the provinces of Inhambane, Gaza, Nampula and Zambezia.

A further two credit lines, which are in the final stages of conclusion, for rural electrification, worth US$20 million each, were provided in the 2004-2006 period. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH