International tender for third mobile phone operator in Mozambique due to be launched in December

8 October 2009

Maputo, Mozambique, 8 Oct – The government of Mozambique plans to launch the public tender to introduce a third mobile phone operator this year, following delays due to complaints made by the current operators, the Mozambican Transport and Communications Minister said in Maputo.

Paulo Zucula, speaking to the Reuters news agency, said that the problems raised by state company mCel and by Vodacom had been overcome and that the tender document was now being prepared.

“The public tender is due to be launched in December,” the minister said.

The number of mobile telecommunications subscribers in Mozambique totalled 4.4 million at the end of 2008, according to a report from the Mozambican Ministry for Transport and Communications.

Accoridng to figures from analysts from Mobile World, Mozambique ended the first half of 2009 with around 5.7 million mobile telephony subscribers, representating a market penetration of 28 percent.

State company mCel was the dominant operator with a market share of 66 percent, with the remaining 34 percent in the hands of its rival Vodacom. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH