Sao Vicente Airport, Cape Verde, to receive international flights before the end of the year

22 October 2009

Mindelo, Cape Verde, 22 Oct – Sao Vicente airport in Cape Verde is expected to receive international flights before the end of this year, Cape Verde’s prime minister said Thursday noting there had been delays in approval of the runway, which was initially expected in June.

At the end of a meeting with the mayor of Sao Vicente, Isaura Gomes, José Maria Neves said that the airport was in the certification phase, which coincided with an audit of Cape Verde by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).

Refurbishment of Sao Pedro Airport, on the island of Sao Vicente was due to be opened to traffic in August, after its approval in July, but several delays made that imporssible.

The delays also made it impossible for international flights of several airlines, including TAP-Air Portugal, which planned to launch a new route to Mindelo in August, to land at the airport.

In May the TAP’s delegate for Cape Verde, Luís Garcia said that TAP-Air Portugal planned to start flying three times a week to the Cape Verdean island of Sao Vicente just as soon as the new airport is certified and can received n night time flights. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH