Riverside Mining coal project authorised by Mozambican government

12 January 2010

Sydney, Australia, 12 Jan – Australia’s Riverside Mining company has obtained authorisation from the Mozambican government to go ahead with the Benga coal project following approval of the environmental impact study, the company has announced.

The study was endorsed by the Ministry for Environmental Coordination and Action and concerns the planned commercial exploitation of 20 million tonnes of coke-bearing and thermal coal at Benga in Tete province.

Riverside Mining holds a 65 percent stake in the project. The remaining 35 percent is held by the Indian group Tata Steel. Total reserves are 273 million tonnes, of which 181 million are proven.

Tete province has the world’s biggest unexplored coal reserves, indicates the note released on Monday by Riverside Mining.

The Brazilian company Vale is also involved in a major coal project in the same province, at Moatize.

(macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH