Portugal to continue to fund Mozambique’s state budget

4 March 2010

Maputo, Mozambique, 4 March – Portugal plans to continue funding Mozambique, despite the stalemate between the Mozambican government and the international community that provides over half of the Mozambican state budget, the Portuguese prime minister said in Maputo Wednesday.

“I can give assurances that Portugal will maintain, without fail, its budgetary aid to Mozambique,” said Sócrates at the banquet held in his honour by the Mozambican president, Armando Guebuza.

Mozambique’s main donors, brought together in the co-called G-19, have recently had trouble dialoguing with the Mozambican authorities, mainly after the exclusion of ten political parties from the general elections of 28 October, 2009.

Last week, Mozambique’s finance minister, Manuel Chang, called the delay in contributions from the international community “unfortunate.” These donations are usually provided in January, but this year are only expected in April. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH