Australia’s Riversdale Mining plans to bring start of production forward in Mozambique

17 March 2010

Johannesburg, South Africa, 17 March – Australian company Riversdale Mining plans to start coal production at its mine in Benga,, Mozambique, sooner than had been projected due to a rise in demand, the company’s vice president said Tuesday in Johannesburg.

Speaking to the Reuters news agency on the sidelines of a conference on energy in Africa, Andrew Love said that the company was being contacted by people saying that there was a lack of coal worldwide, “and so we are thinking about bringing our schedule forward.”

Riversdale Mining had initially planned to start producing 5 million tons of coal per year as of 2011 with production rising to 20 million tons in 2016.

The company also plans to start exporting thermal coal to supply some power plants in Southern Africa.

The Benga coal mine, in Mozambique’s Tete province, is 65 percent owned by Riversdale and the remaining 35 percent is owned by Indian group Tata Steel. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH