Mozambican ports and railway company invests in improved passenger transport

6 April 2010

Maputo, Mozambique, 6 Apr – Passenger transport in the rail network of southern Mozambique has been reinforced with the addition of 29 carriages, four restaurant cars and a baggage car, a US$2 million investment, the president of Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique has stated.

Passenger transport by rail grew 26 percent in 2009 over 2008, with more than 2.6 million passengers transported, the Maputo-based daily Noticias reported.

At a recent meeting in Maputo, Rui Fonseca said passenger transport by rail was not profitable for Caminhos de Ferro de Mozambique, as tickets paid for by passengers cover only 15 percent of costs, with the remaining 85 percent entirely supported by the company.

About a year ago the company introduced passenger service by railcars with a view to providing transportation for communities on the outskirts of the cities of Maputo and Matola, which were primarily served by road transport.

“We have been emphasizing investment which due to its strategic nature is able to generate notable results and high returns in the middle and long terms, providing unique opportunities for economic growth and social development,” Fonseca said when addressing the company’s board of directors.

(macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH