Riversdale Mining contracts companies in Mozambique for environmental study

8 April 2010

Maputo, Mozambique, 8 April – Australian group Riversdale Mining has hired two Mozambican companies to carry out the environmental and social impact studies of the project for transport of coal on the Zambezi river in Mozambique, according to Mozambican newspaper Notícias.

Environmental Resources Management (ERM) and Impacto Lda. Will assess the impact of transporting coal mined at Benga in Tete province, along the river, as part of a search for logistic solutions for transporting the coal to the international market.

The potential routes put forward by the company include the Sena railroad as far as the port of Beira, forwarding the cargo to the port of Nacala and river transport, on barges, on the Zambezi river, from Benga in Tete province, to Chinde in Zambezia province, approximately 500 kilometres away.

In order to supply international markets with the coal the company currently only has the Sena railroad, which will also serve many other companies with coal concessions in Tete, and which has a maximum transport capacity of 6 million tonnes of coal.

A source from Riversdale said that the three current options could be complementary and should be operated in order to maximise the mining and export potential of the Moatize basin.

In Mozambique Riversdale Mining, via its subsidiary Riversdale Mozmbique Limitada, has a concession for open faced coal mining near the Zambezi River, specifically in Benga, in Moatize district, Tete province.

Riversdale Mining had initially planned to start producing 5 million tons of coal per year as of 2011 with production rising to 20 million tons in 2016 and to export thermal coal to supply some power plants in southern Africa.

The Benga coal mine is 65 percent owned by Riversdale and the remaining 35 percent is owned by Indian group Tata Steel. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH