Large Millennium Challenge Account Moçambique tenders to be launched this year

20 April 2010

Maputo, Mozambique, 20 April – The largest international public tenders as part of the Millennium Challenge Account (MCA) Moçambique are due to be launched this year, officials said Monday in Maputo during a seminar.

Four tenders for construction and reconstruction of roads, dams and water supply systems are due to be launched for the centre and north of Mozambique with a joint value of US$300 million.

Three years ago, the United States Federal Government, via the Millennium Challenge Corporation, provided funding of US$507 million for a five-year programme in Mozambique for water supply and sanitation, road reconstruction, safe access to land and increase in income for farmers by controlling lethal yellowing disease in coconut palms.

In total so far MCA Mozambique has signed contracts worth a total of US$93.2 million, said the Mozambican Minister for Planning and Development, Aiuba Cuereneia, who attended the seminar.

The financial and technical weakness of Mozambican construction companies has meant that they are not awarded most international tenders and, in the specific case of the MCA contracts, domestic preference is not applicable, but the minister noted that there was nothing stopping them from associating themselves with the programme via sub-contracts or consortiums.

“Most of the tenders will be launched in the fourth quarter of 2010, which means that we are making this announcement around six months ahead of time, which is enough time for construction contractors to take part in this process,” Cuereneia noted.

The chief executive of MCA – Moçambique, Paulo Fumane said that the big challenge at the moment was related to complying with the project schedule so that all work would be complete by 2013, when the programme is due to end. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH