Number of automatic payment terminals almost triples in Angola in 2009

6 July 2010

Luanda, Angola, 6 July – The number of automatic payment terminals installed in commercial establishments in 2009, was almost 3 times the number that existed at the end of 2008, according to figures from Angola’s banking services company Emis.

Emis also said that automatic teller machines (ATMs) had increased from 717 in 2008 to 995 at the end of 2009.

In terms of network transactions, these totalled 2.89 million accounting for US$314.3 million in 2009, as compared to 1.49 million transactions worth US$166.8 million in 2008.

In terms of ATMs, in 2009 the system registered 41.35 million transactions, which accounted for US$2.11 billion, which exceeded the 31.6 million transactions registered in the previous year, accounting for US$1.64 billion.

Angola’s electronic payment system is managed by Empresa Interbancária de Serviços (EMIS), which is owned by the National Bank of Angola, with a 51 percent share, and retail banks operating in the market, with the remaining 49 percent. (macauhub)