Mota-Engil to set up consortium to operate in Angola

21 July 2010

Luanda, Angola, 21 July – A consortium called Mota-Engil/Angola is due to be set up by the end of this year, the chairman of Portuguese construction group Mota-Engil, António Mota said in Luanda Tuesday.

The Portuguese businessman announced the establishment of the consortium whilst speaking at the inauguration of ceramics factory Novicer – Cerâmica de Angola, attended by the President of Angola, José Eduardo dos Santos, and Portuguese President, Aníbal Cavaco Silva.

Mota said that the company, which would be Angola-based, would be made up of Mota-Engil, with 51 percent of the shares, and by a consortiummade up of Sonangol Holding, Banco Privado do Atlântico, Finicapital and Globalpactum, with the remaining 49 percent.

The new company will replace Mota-Engil in all its projects underway in Angola and plans to carry out construction of public and private projects, as well as other activities in several industrial sectors.

The new brick factory, inaugurated by the two presidents, is the result of an investment by Portuguese company Mota-Engil and Empresa Nacional de Cerâmicas de Angola “Unicerâmicas” of US$36 million.

Located on the Kifangondo, Cacuaco road, Novicer has production capacity of around 2 million bricks per month, providing work to 98 staff, 91 of whom are Angolan.

In the first stage of operation, the company will produce bricks for building walls, although there are also plans to make roof tiles and an innovative product in Africa known as “thermo-acoustic bricks.” (macauhub)