Mozambique launches honey production project

13 August 2010

Maputo, Mozambique, 13 Aug – Mozambican company V &M Grain Co, Lda which sells grain and is headquartered in Chimoio, Manica province, plans to launch a honey productiona dn sale project in the central and northern provinces of Mozambique, Mozambican newspaper Notícias reported Friday.

According to the Mozambican Institute for Export Promotion (IPEX) the project will be headed up by the Mozambique Honey Company, Lda and by the Union of Beekeeper Cooperatives of Central and Northern Mozambiquewith the support of SNV, the Dutch Development Organisation.

V &M Grain Co, Lda will have 45 percent of the capital of the Mozambique Honey Company, and the remaining 55 percent will be in the hands of the future Union of Beekeeper Cooperatives of Central and Northern Mozambique (45 percent) and British charity eco-MICAIA (10 percent).

The project is expected to involve 5,000 rural workers who will manage 50,000 hives producing around 500 tons of honey per year for the local market and for export. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH