Mozambican government and private sector invest in agricultural mechanisation

9 September 2010

Maputo, Mozambique, 9 Sept – The government of Mozambique and the country’s private sector are to deliver 850 tractors to farmers over the three agricultural campaigns covered by the National food Production Plan, the director of the Centre for Agricultural Promotion (Cepagri).

Saying that it was “a joint effort of the government and the private sector to promotion agricultural mechanisation in the country,” Roberto Albino noted that of that total 430 tractors would be directly acquired by the government and the remainder would be a result of contributions from the private business sector and application of investment budgets in private initiatives provided to districts on a yearly basis.

Also according to Albino, 95 percent of agricultural producers in Mozambique are in the family sector, and the remaining 5 percent are medium-sized or business producers, with the government focusing on the family sector to carry out its national food production plan.

The director of Cepagri said that in the last two seasons 100 tractors and trailers had been acquired, which were handed over to producers under subsidised conditions, along with 13 rice harvesting machines, 100 machines to expand planting areas, especially for the family sector and 40 threshers to reduce post-harvest losses and increase productivity.

Albino also said that 220 new tractors were currently being delivered to farmers in Tete province, with a further 110 due to arrived in January or February of 2010, before the end of the current agricultural season. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH