Taiwanese company puts forward proposal to manage power plant in Sao Tome and Principe

1 April 2011

Sao Tome, Sao Tome and Principe, 1 April – The government of Sao Tome and Principe plans to privatise the management of the Santo Amaro thermal power station to Taiwan Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Services (TEMES) in order to ensure a regular electricity supply, the Sao Tome minister for Public Works told Macauhub Thursday in Sao Tome.

Without specifying the value of the offer made by TEMES, Carlos Vila Nova said that, “the proposal from the Taiwanese company is being analysed by a team of Sao Tomé technical staff,” set up for the tender process.

TEMES carried out work to install the Santo Amaro power plant, which has a capacity of 8.5 megawatts and was built just over seven months ago using funding from the Taiwanese government estimated at US$15 million.

TEMES’s proposal follows the technical and financial incapacity of the current manager of Santo Amaro, Sao Tome’s water company, Emae, to ensure a regular supply of electricity to consumers on Sao Tome island.

It is estimated that there is demand of 15 megawatts of energy in Sao Tome and Principe and that Emae is only able to supply 12 megawatts. 80 percent is provided by thermal power plants and the remaining 20 percent by hydroelectric facilities on Sao Tome’s rivers.

As well as Emae having obsolete equipment and systems, the energy crisis worsened around four weeks ago following a rise in the price of the fuel that drives the power plants on Sao Tome, notably the Santo Amaro plant, which has never worker to full capacity. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH