Civil aviation in Mozambique to be submitted to ICAO tests in September

18 August 2011

Maputo, Mozambique, 18 Aug – Technicians from the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) are due to travel to Mozambique in September to carry out a final assessment of safety corrections introduced at the Mozambique Civil Aviation Institute, Mozambican newspaper Notícias reported.

The newspaper added that the Mozambique Civil Aviation Institute had so far achieved 80 percent of the requirements of the ICAO and that the remaining 20 percent were expected to be completed ahead of the arrival of the international technicians.

Essentially, Mozambique has to correct five irregularities detected and published in an ICAO report in 2010, which led the European Union to ban Mozambique-registered airlines from flying in its air space.

Since then the Mozambique Civil Aviation Institute has started solving the problems related to airline certification, civil aviation staff training, staff qualifications, lack of appropriate regulation as well as general legislation.

Mozambique hired four international civil aviation inspectors and launched other activities, including an agreement with airport company Aeroportos de Moçambique, under the terms of which this company provided five of its staff members. (macauhub)