Cimentos de Moçambique to increase cement production at Matola plant

9 September 2011

Matola, Mozambique, 9 Sept – The Cimentos de Moçambique cement plan in the Mozambican city of Matola is set to add 700,000 tons to its annual production of 600,000 tons once a new grinding unit, which was officially inaugurated Thursday, starts operating.

The new unit, which has been operating since Last June, represents an investment of 18 million euros and will help to increase cement supply on the national market, particularly in the south of Mozambique.

According to the Chief Executive of Cimentos de Portugal (Cimpor), Francisco de Lacerda, the investment will ensure that prices stabilise on the market and reduce speculation by some retailers of the product.

The new grinding unit is part of an expansion and modernisation plan for the main cement plant in Mozambique, which includes, amongst other things, refurbishment of the clinker line, reconversion of the fuel process used to manufacture the product from coal to natural gas, modernisation of the medium and high voltage network and replacement of the bagging lines for the end product.

The programme of investments, expected to be concluded by 2013, is estimated to cost 32 million euros.

Cimentos de Moçambique is 82 percent-owned by Cimentos de Portugal (Cimpor) and by Mozambican state companies Portos e Caminhos de Ferro e Empresa Moçambicana de Seguros with the remaining 18 percent. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH