Endiama/De Beers consortium invests US$150 million in diamond prospecting in Angola

26 September 2011

Luanda, Angola, 26 Sept – The Endiama/De Beers consortium over the last six years has invested US$150 million in diamond prospecting in Angola’s Lunda Norte province, the consortium’s director, Pedro Lago de Carvalho said Thursday in Luanda.

Speaking to Angolan news agency Angop during the 3rd International Mines Fair in Angola (FIMA), Carvalho said that there were significant diamond reserves in Angola but added that there were few companies prospecting.

The director of the consortium added that for prospecting in Lunda Norte alone the company had in operation 12 probes and a laboratory to analyse the kimberlites, and that another laboratory had been set up in Luanda province.

The Endiama/De Beers consortium currently employs 230 workers, 25 of which are foreigners, and total workers are due to increase to 300 by the end of the year. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH