Portugal pays to repair national road in Mozambique

28 October 2011

Maputo, Mozambique, 28 Oct – Portugal plans to provide funding of 85 million euros to repair and lay asphalt on the N260 road between Chimoio and the border town of Espungabera in Mozambique, the Mozambican National Roads Administration (ANE) said.

The work, which is expected to take 30 months, will be carried out by Portuguese construction company Mota-Engil and cost a total of 108 million euros. Portugal will therefore provide 79 percent of the total and Mozambique the remaining 21 percent.

Laying asphalt on the road is considered fundamental for the development of the so-called “Mossurize Corridor” along which there are a number of agricultural, forest, water, wildlife, tourism, mineral and livestock resources, notably the Chimanimani Cross-border Reserve.

As well as this, the road between Chimoio and Espungabera, stretching 215 kilometres, is the main road link to the city of Chimoio, the district capital of Sussundenga, the administrative post of Dombe and the border town of Espungabera, the district capital of Mossurize, bordering the Zimbabwean district of Chipinge, which are strategic regions for agri-livestock and mining production as well as tourism. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH