STP Airways to re-launch flights between Sao Tome and the island of Principe

28 October 2011

Sao Tome, Sao Tome and Principe, 28 Oct – STP Airways, the national airline of Sao Tome and Principe has re-launched flights between the country’s capital, Sao Tome, and the autonomous region of Principe, said the airline’s commercial director, Daniel Caeiro.

The new operations plan for STP Airways aims to drive tourism in the autonomous region of Principe, the island to the north of Sao Tome Island, Caeiro sad adding that the decision was intended to take tourists to visit the island of Principe.

The link between the two islands is provided by a D-228 airplane with capacity for 18 passengers and is re-launched at a time when the regional government of Principe has submitted the island for consideration as a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) world heritage site.

Africa Connection, a company owned by a Dutch businessman, has run a flight to the island of Principe for the last five years.

STP Airways also offers flights from Sao Tome to Portugal once a week using a Boeing 737-800 and plans to launch charter flights to Gabon, Equatorial Guinea and Cameroon.

STP Airways, which was founded in January 2007, has as its main shareholders the Sao Tome state with 35 percent and the remaining 65 percent of the company is in the hands of investors GIAS, Golf International, Euro Atlantic, Air Service and Banco Equador. (macauhub)