Funding still needed for construction of Maputo/Catembe bridge in Mozambique

8 November 2011

Maputo, Mozambique, 8 Nov – Construction of the bridge linking the city of Maputo to the Catembe municipal area and its associated road network still has no funding secured, Mozambique’s Minister for Public Works and Housing, Cadmiel Muthemba said Monday in Maputo.

The minister noted that negotiations were underway with a number of partners to secure funding of US$300 million to build the bridge and the road that will link the Catembe municipal area to Ponta do Ouro, a tourist area near the south African border.

Recently, the director for the Investment Promotion Centre (CPI), Lourenço Sambo, announced that China would finance construction of the Maputo/Catembe bridge via a subsidized loan.

“We have a bilateral agreement with china to fund large projects,” said Sambo adding, “the Maputo/Catembe bridge was previously with the Portuguese, but is now with the Chinese.”

The bridge was handed over as a concession to roads manager Estradas do Zambeze, which is part-owned by Portuguese company Ascendi, of the Mota-Engil group, and was due to be funded by Portugal as part of a credit line set up by the Portuguese state for Mozambique. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH