United Nations Population Fund announces new aid package to Sao Tome and Principe

19 December 2011

Sao Tome, Sao Tome and Principe, 19 Dec – The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is set to apply US$5.6 million on a new cycle of financial aid programmes to Sao Tome and Principe over the next five years (2012-2016), a representative of the organisation on the archipelago said Sunday.

Speaking to Macauhub, Victória D’Alva, who coordinates the UNFPA offices in Sao Tome and Principe, said that the new aid programme had been approved Friday in the Sao Tome capital at a meeting of the organisation attended by secretary-general of the Ministry for Planning and Development, Wilson Bragança.

Under the terms of the new five-year programme, UNFPA plans to apply US$1 Million per year to activities to support the population and development, reproductive health, combating sexually-transmitted diseases and teenage pregnancy.

The new aid cycle will also be applied to programmes to improve statistical data in the country, birth registration, as well as supporting young people and the media in terms of reproductive health.

Considered to be one of the archipelago’s main partners in the area of population and development, UNFPA applied US$2.3 million to activities in the previous five-year cycle that began in January 2007. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH