Sao Tome’s telecommunications company launches 3G mobile services

8 March 2012

Sao Tome telecommunications company Companhia Santomense de Telecomunicações (CST) Wednesday launched services on its 3G mobile network, as part of an investment of US$3 million, the chairman of the company Zeinal Bava.

The announcement was made Wednesday in the capital of Sao Tome at a ceremony for the official launch attended by Sao Tome’s telecommunications minister, Carlos Vila Nova as part of a pilot-project launched at the beginning of February to modernise Sao Tome and Principe’s telecommunications.

Bava announced the start of mobile broadband services using the 3G (third generation) network , as well as video calling and data transmission.

As well as giving assurances that Internet speed would be increased to up to 14 megabits per second, Bava noted that “CST believes that broadband and Internet on a mobile phone will be adopted on a mass basis when the fibre optic undersea cable starts operating in October.”

CST, which holds the monopoly on telecommunications in Sao Tome and Principe and is 51 percent-owned by Portugal Telecom and the remaining 49 percent of the company is in the hands of the Sao Tome State. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH