Vale Moçambique expects soon to finish feasibility study for phosphate exploration

20 July 2012

The feasibility study for phosphate exploration by Vale Moçambique is at a very advanced stage and will soon be concluded and be presented to the Mozambican government for assessment,” said Brazilian group Vale’s director for Africa, Ricardo Saad.

The project, which is located in the Monapo district of the northern province of Nampula, requires an investment of US$40 million, US$20 million of which has already been spent on surveys, laboratory testing, pre-feasibility studies, environmental licensing and public consultations.

The potential area, which has capacity to produce 42 million tons of phosphates, and is located 130 kilometres from Nampula, was granted under concession to Vale Moçambique, for a period of 30 years.

The project includes construction of an industrial complex to manufacture fertiliser, in the coastal district of Nacala-a-Velha, located on a 700 hectare plot in the Nanare area.

The fertilizer project is just a minor part of the significant investments made by Vale in Nampula, specifically construction and exploration of a 912-kilometre railroad between the cities of Moatize, in Tete province, and the port of Nacala.

The work will be carried out by a consortium in which Vale has a share of 80 percent, and the Mozambican government, via state rail and port company Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Mocambique (CFM), owns the remaining 20 percent. (macauhub)