Inactive diamond mines in Angola to start being explored

15 August 2012

Activities at diamond mines in Angola that are at a standstill due to the global financial crisis are due to begin again in October of this year, the chairman of Angolan state diamond company, Empresa Nacional de Diamantes de Angola (Endiama) said Tuesday in Luanda.

“Starting in October we are going to begin putting all the mines into operation, starting with those in Luarica, Fucauma and Calonda,” said Carlos Sumbula, speaking at the ceremony to sign the mining exploration contract for the Tchegi mine.

Cited by Angolan news agency Angop, the chairman of Endiama also said that the rate of tax on the sale of artisanal diamonds had been cut.

“So far we had been charging 8.5 percent of the sales price, but from now on that rate will be just 3 percent,” said Sumbula adding that the new rate was lower than those charges in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and the Republic of Congo. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH