The cape Verdean government has spent over 25 billion Cape Verdean escudos (US$283 million) on its port sector, the chairman of national port company Enapor said Monday in Porto Novo, according to Cape Verdean news agency Inforpress.
Franklin Spencer, who was speaking at the inauguration of the first phase of expansion and modernisation work on the port of Porto Novo, said that the funds had already benefited seven ports, and that work was also due to be carried out on the ports of Tarrafal (Sao Nicolau), and Maio.
Of those 25 billion escudos, almost 3 billion were spent on the port of Porto Novo which, according to the Spencer, improves the island of Santo Antao’s position as a tourist destination and “agricultural production centre.”
The new port of Porto Novo, work on which began in 2010, has three docks, the first of which, for long haul ships, is 136 metres long and has a roll on/roll off ramp.
The second dock, which is 118 metres long, is multifunctional and also has a roll on/roll off ramp and the third dock is 46 metres long and is designed to support fishing.
The port also has a sea station with capacity to receive companies that provide national and international sea transport services. (macauhub)