New power plant to be built in Ressano Garcia, Mozambique

30 November 2012

A new natural gas-fired power plant, a partnership between Mozambican state power company EdM and South African group Sasol, is due to start operating in 2014 in Ressano Garcia, in the district of Moamba, following the laying of its first stone Thursday.

The new Ressano Garcia Thermal Plant, which requires estimated investment of US$250 million, will be the biggest natural gas-fired plant in Mozambique and the second of its kind in the region after a power plant operated by Scottish company Aggreko, started operating earlier this year.

According to figures given at the ceremony, Mozambique consumes an annual average of 650 megawatts of power and demand is growing by 20 percent a year. The new power plant, which will have a production capacity of 175 megawatts, will meet some of that new demand.

Electricidade de Moçambique (EdM) has a 51 percent stake in the partnership, and the remaining 49 percent s owned by Sasol New Energy, of the Sasol group.

Unlike the plant managed by Aggreko, which has production of 100 megawatts that is sold to South African state power company Eskom and to EdM, this new power station is focused only on Mozambique as the Komatipoort transmission line, which is linked to the Apollo sub-station, in South Africa, has reached its full capacity. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH