New coal terminal at the port of Beira, in Mozambique, expected to be operational in 2015

3 December 2012

The new coal terminal at the port of Beira, which underwent temporary refurbishment work between 2010 and the end of 2011, is expected to be fully operational as of 2015, the chairman of state port and railway management company Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique (CFM), told Mozambican magazine Xitimela.

Temporary refurbishment work was finished at the end of August 2011. This included emergency dredging costing US$43 million that made it possible for the port to received ships with deadweight tonnage (DWT) of 60,000, as compared to receiving ships with a capacity of up to 30,000 DWT previously.

According to the chairman of CFM, conclusion of reconstruction of the Sena railroad will make it possible to, “increase the annual volume of cargo processed at the port of Beira, up to 20 million tons per year, mainly by exporting coal from Moatize.”

Mining companies Vale Moçambique an Riversdale Mining, later acquired by the Rio Tinto group, in 2010 signed a memorandum of understanding with CFM, in order to temporarily repair the terminal at the port of Beira to export the Moatize coal.

The two companies were given coal processing and export capacities of 5 million tons per year, and Vale Moçambique took up most of the terminal’s capacity – 68 percent – and Riversdale Mining the remaining 32 percent. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH