Mozambican coal due to be exported via Nacala in December 2014

5 March 2013

Coal mined in Mozambique is expected to start being exported from the coal terminal at the port of Nacala at the end of December 2014, when work that is currently underway is due to be finished, according to officials from the Integrated Northern Logistics Corridor (CLIN).

According to Mozambican daily newspaper Notícias, the officials from CLIN, which is a public-private partnership of Brazilian group Vale and Mozambican state port and rail company Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique, said that the coal terminal will have a capacity of 18 million tons per year.

As well as construction of the coal terminal, CLIN plans to build a 912 kilometre railway line that begins at the coal region of Moatize, passes through neighbouring Malawi and Nampula province, where 684 kilometres of the current line will be repaired and a further 228 kilometres of new line will be built as far as the coal port at Namuachi point, in Nacala bay.

The railway is designed to have a capacity of 40 million tons per year, 30 million of which will be reserved for Vale, which will thus have additional capacity to transport coal mined in Moatize, and the remaining capacity will be available to other companies or individuals.

Both projects, which will be built from scratch, will require estimated funding of US$1.5 billion provided by CLIN, in which Vale Moçambique has an 80 percent stake, and Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique (CFM) has the remaining 20 percent. (macauhub)

MACAUHUB FRENCH